The Right to Information Act will come into force w.e.f. 12th October, 2005.
- Salient Features of the Right to Information Act, 2005
- The Act extends to the whole of India except Jammu & Kashmir.
- It provides a very definite day for its commencement i.e. 120 days from enactment.
- It shall apply to Public Authorities.
- All citizens shall have the right to information, subject to provisions of the Act.
- The Public Information Officers/Assistant Public Information Officers will be responsible to deal with the requests for information and also to assist persons seeking information.
- Fee will be payable by the applicant depending on the nature of information sought.
- Certain categories of information have been exempted from disclosure under Section 8 and 9 of the Act.
- Intelligence and security agencies specified in Schedule II to the Act have been exempted from the ambit of the Act, subject to certain conditions.